Friday, February 27, 2015

Week 5

Another week and more work done. This week is a continuation of the sculpting of the Centipede. Going in, I added more details to each of the segments, giving them all a "personality".

Here is the battered segment with which I decided to do even more damage. Scars, cracks, and marks really helped it look battered.








Here I added more ripples to the smooth and untouched segment, making it look brand new and what not and more realistically undamaged.






Here is the one that has more texture and noise than the other two, making it more robust. This one may be applied more to the middle segments due to their size.



Next is the Head which required a few things for me to fix before I really got into sculpting it out.








First of all, the antennae needed to be retopologized to not only allow better animation, but also a better look. Ech of the segments of faces needs to be a bulge that will bend at the edges connecting it to the next segment, because the centipede's antannae are not a long flimsy strand, it's a bunch of beaded segments that move and coil and squirm. (Kind of creepy when you watch it actually)


Also, the pincers needed to be enlarged and given a nice beef in thickness to allow for certain details in sculpting to be closer to the references. Also the ones I had looked like they were made of ceramic just from the shape; weak and brittle.



So I started texturing the head and I felt that I had been trying to match it too closely to the images I was referencing. I decided I needed to give it some more of my own individual preference. Where the head would be more smooth, I wanted it to look rocky or still somewhat battered. What if I wanted to use this centipede as a giant creature? I want to give it more personality!

The Pincers I wanted to be smooth, but before I could do that, I had to check out how it connected to te head. It wasn't like a segment, it was more like a spiderweb of joints that formed at the curve. The eyes are compound and vary from a bunch of bumps to a honeycomb sphere. For my purpose I wanted that bumpy look. More subtle than an actual large orb of discoloration.

So down there is a little mouth section. At first I was against adding any more parts to the main model and I stand by that. But it wouldn't hurt to have two little seperate geos that will act as moving mouth parts. Fortunately I can keep those large mounds as containers that surround the parts.


So here is the textured head. I may go in and touch up some areas, but next week is mainly going to be about coloration. I'll have more free will there, but I have a general idea of how I'm going to color this thing. But I won't mention anything, it'll be a surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment